Thursday, June 08, 2006

Be the world to them...

Their little hands and little feet are very busy
Sometimes you wish they weren’t
Their eyes that look at you and say love me
And at the same time thinking about what to do next
Their questions are so interesting
But sometimes inconvenient
Their arms swing at others
But also wrap around you
Their words so true and sometimes hurt
But other times they make you feel on top of the world
They are the world’s most precious gift
Sometimes you just want to get away from them
Their minds don’t fully understand
But at the same time so full of wisdom
The secret of life lies within them
They believe in you and believe you are the world
They believe they can do anything
Nothing is impossible
There is so much to learn from them
They are full of honesty, compassion, generosity, love, and patience
Yet they are looked down upon
And treated badly
And left to be alone
They deserve the world, so give it to them
They are children and cant speak for themselves
Nicole Andrews 22

This is a poem I wrote today. I love children so much and they are so important. And yet you hear on the news everyday that one has been abducted or killed. Its right in our own city...everyday at work I see a hurting child and they arent supposed to be hurting they are supposed to be left to be children. To enjoy the world...to be happy. I see everything from physically abused children to emotionally abused to children to children who are angry at the world. It breaks my heart to see that the world is so cruel that children even have to deal with it. Adults are the world to a child they look up to you. And yet we still break their trust...and yet we still dissapoint them. Everyday we are destroying the worlds future...everyday we are ruining a piece of happiness in one childs life. There is so much to learn from them...they know how to dream...they know how to believe in you and most important they know how to cheer you up when you are sad. They care about you and always ask whats wrong...they will never let you down. Then why are we letting them down? Why arent we making the world a better place for them? They believe in you. Then why dont we believe in them? I jsut want to say next time a child is just getting on your nerves and you are getting frustrated with them. Next time you look down on a child. Next time you think that someones child that is throwing a fit in wal-mart is bad. Next time you think those thoughts. Think what did we do to make them like that? What can we do to make it better? Be the world to a child...they will never let you down.

5 comments:

Jelea said...

Nicole, i totally know what you mean...i've realized some important things during this whole application process of mine...about kids and where i'm going to be going with them, and what i'm getting from it. it saddens my heart to see so many kids that don't have a loving home life...you know i could go on here too, but i'm not going to...i'll talk to you tomorrow

Dawn said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN! This is in my heart as well! Kids are the bomb! Did you know that kids under 5 who haven't been brought up to believe either way concerning God believe that there is a God!!! Kids ARE our future... they are a delight in every way! There are so many who are hurting... who just need some love, unconditional acceptance, to be known as special and beutiful and cared for! My fav quote from the ranch "Stupid parents... you need a licence drive a vehicle but you dont need a licence to have a kid... *shakes head* tis a shame"!!! Don't get me wrong... loving these kids DOES NOT mean letting them do whatever they want, NO , it means loving them in spite of their faults, letting them learn through some mistakes, setting boundaries so they know you care that they don't have something terrible happen to them!!! Check out Proverbs 13:24 it says: If you do not punish your children, you don't love them, but if you love your children, you will correct them.
HELLO! What this is sayin is NOT to go beat your kids but to show them the difference between right and wrong... to show the consequences for doing wrong! Hunny its like that in the real world! We need to have more people get a grip on this! Gunna stop my ramble here... thank-you Jesus for good parents in the world... one of em being my mama! Blessings, great post!

JP said...

Hey Andrea, I agree with both you and Nikki, it probably depends on circumstance. But she's been involved with working with kids at work and at the church and she's seen a lot. She's got experience, so I'm sure she's seen both extremes.

Nicole, you truly are going to bring a lot of understanding to people who don't know much about kids, like myself. I know I'm going to learn an incredible amount this summer about kids alone, being as my experience is next to none. And I'm glad I've got friends like you, Dawn and Justin who all have experience that I can learn from. It's good. Good stuff, good post!

And I am most definately thankful for good parents.. no...not good parents, GREAT parents. Grateful, I am!

Nicole said...

I didnt mean what we do about the kids bein like that Andrea I think that you need to hear me say this in person...and I didnt say the world is entirly cruel no...I mean certian people. And I believe its our job(as in people who are called, this may not apply to you, but it does to me) to train parents that need it...on how to take care of their children and help them...and stop judging them...thats what I think and I am goin to do that.

SJ said...

It's going to sound judgmental, and if it wasn't for me wanting to watch my language it would sound even more judgmental. But people are stupid, self centred, ignorant, and many more things I won't go into.

Children are our future. Nicole already said it, but it's true. They are. I wish there wasn't a need for people like my parents (Foster parents for the last 12 years or so). I'd like nothing more then for them to be out of a job. For every child to feel loved, and accepted, and to understand boundries and right and wrong. But they don't, and because they don't people like Nicole have to step up to the plate.

Not everyone is called to childrens ministry (And as an extension helping to educate there parents), but I do believe that just about everyone has contact with children at some point or another. And when they do they need to be a light to that child, even if it's only for 12 seconds in walmart while there throwing a fit. An encouraging smile to the parents, what ever it is, we need to do something.

I doubt i'll ever find my self working in a daycare, or with young children. But I do work with teens at my church, and I do plan on having children some day (Weather my own, or adopted i'm not to partial either way), but I know I will do what I can, when I can. And lets not forget about prayer, I know i'm far from perfect so I pray that God will strengthen me, and guide me.

Excellent post Nikki, and sorry for rambling so much. Least I didn't call you a parent looker afterrerr :)

Peace