Saturday, November 25, 2006

Diversity

Well its saturday and normally I would have slept in till noon or later but not today I had to go to a workshop at my work this morning. Now when I thought about this workshop I was like oh great another boring thing I have to sit through and listen...well that was not the case...this workshop was about diversity. We are tryin to be a daycare centre of diversity...now that just doesnt mean skin color but also means abilities and religion and even your upbringing....I learned a lot of this in college when I was there but there was some new and interesting thoughts that I learned today as well...so it wasnt a waste of my time and I really enjoyed it....but there were times today when I was a lil distracted and just sat and thought...and thats what I want to write about.

Dictionary.com says that diversity means
1.the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness.
2.variety; multiformity.
3.a point of difference.

So now lets look at this we are all different in my group of friends I see so many differences and its amazing...We did a few activities that got me thinking today about diversity ok so we as staff made a paper quilt...she gave us markers and a piece of construction paper and said draw what is important to you...well the first thing that popped into my head was God...how...how could I draw God on paper...so I drew three crosses and the one that Jesus died on I drew thorns and blood on it...and then I drew snow...that represents God to me...the next thing I thought of was my friends...so I drew three friends...ha ha and you should see they are awesome drawings...then the last thing I thought of was my family so I drew my family...then I looked at other peoples papers...and one of our co workers is from bosnia and she drew the earth and an airplane and then she drew Medicine Hat and Bosnia and drew arrows it was really cool and others drew their kids and stuff and it was really neat to see what was important to others in my work...kinda brought us together more...then we did the orange game...now this is a cool game...she gave us oranges and said get to know your orange...and so we did...then she out them back in the bowl and said no find your orange...and we all did...because we got to know what the outside looked like and they all had there little differences...then she said now if we were to peal them and put them back into the bowl would you know which one was yours...the answer would be no cause they are the same...the activity was to represent that we are all different on the outside but in reality we were all the same...cool eh...well my day was not a waste and I got to think about a movie I just watched.

You, Me and Dupree now I dunno if you have seen this movie but its stinkin hilarous and I love it...in this movie Dupree talks about your "ness" the part that is truly you...and to make a long story short he ends up to become a motivational speaker on "How to discover your ness" its pretty funny. Anyways I got thinking about it and we need to find our "ness" we need to find that little bit that is us and no one else...well yeah so like I said before God talks to me through movies cause He knows I will pay attention...anyways friends...think about things I said...next time you see someone who is different then you accept them for who they are...and maybe try to get to know them...I dunno sounds a little crazy and out of our comfort zone but you might end up learning somethin interesting that you never knew before...and last thing I want to say is discover your "ness" find that little thing inside of you that is you...you are amazing in your own way and you all have an amazing destiny and purpose...you just need to open up your eyes and see it.

4 comments:

who God says I am said...

wow.

Seriously, that orange game is really amazing. I love that idea. It's amazing. I know I have a hard time accepting people as who they are. I do need to remember that we are all oranges. That's awesome.

And I do want to see your drawings too. I think it's awesome that you put us right after God. I feel very special Nikki.

rachelle/shelby said...

interesting..i love diversity..it makes life more interesting and FUN!!...and i also like the idea of the orange game..but i think i would be tempted to peel the orange and eat it..mmm vitamin C..

JP said...

I would only be an orange if I can be a Mandrin Orange just out of the fridge!


On the other hand, good thoughts!

Jelea said...

sigh...diversity...i've learned a lot on this first hand the past couple of months...