Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another poem by me

Day after day we walk by people and never see them
We compare ourselves to a world that is broken
Day after day we try and fail
We try to be perfect and get mad at ourselves when you cant
There is only one perfect person and we could never be Him
Yet we still try and still fail
Yet we think that someday we will become this monster we create
This person that if we became no one would want to be around them
We cry ourselves to sleep and in the day we run
We lose and freak out thinking the world is not fair
This battle is not ours yet we take it on
Then wonder why we fall
When only one person can fight and win we cant be Him
So Daddy I pray please take this pain away
Let me be me and let my friends be them
Let us fight with you so we can succeed
Be with us when we fall and pick us up
Dust us off and tell us we can do it
When we get on a stool take us down and tell us its not our job
When things get tough move us out of the way and say let me handle this
So Daddy I pray be with us as we sleep so we don’t have to cry
And be with us in the day so you we don’t have to run
I love you Daddy…don’t ever let me go
And when I think you have left me remind me that you will never go

Nicole Andrews 23

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like it... It's raw.. and real. and I can see part of myself in here too. "We try to be perfect and get mad at ourselves when you cant" That is very much a part of who I am... and you know what I'm seeing? The pain caused by my failure to reach a goal, is not caused by the failure, but by the goal. My standards have been set higher than God's and therefore, I struggle to find my joy because I'm chasing after a goal that isn't realistic in the world we live in... who knows.. think about it.

who God says I am said...

Wow. That's a seriously good poem Nikki. It's very true and very real. It's a really good prayer too, at the end anyway. I like the ending, it gives me hope.