Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fight for what you believe in

Letting kids be who they are and not make them who we want them to be. That’s what I want to do...I watched this movie tonight that inspired me to be who I am and let me teach the children that I teach the way I want to…and every time someone says why or cant and I will look and them and go why not. I have these huge dreams and all my life people are like you cant do that and how do you suppose you are goin to get that done…you aren’t smart enough…well they were wrong. Just the other day I had one of my co workers say hey do you still have that dream of getting married and that house you want with all those kids and I was like yep…and she is like you better get crackin or it will never happen…what does she know? Is she God? We tell people what they cant do chances are they already know what they cant do…so why don’t we tell them what they can do…empower someone. So I watched the movie FREEDOM WRITERS tonight…best movie ever my new favorite I will be buying it and the book. In this movie which is based on real events…the teacher comes into a classroom to teach kids that people said would never make it…that people gave up on…and that people were literally scared of. It’s a battle of color, age and sex in this movie. This movie is about never giving up even when EVERYTHING is against you….this movie has loss in it that no one should have to ever feel. This teacher in this movie lost things and had to work extra hard but in the end it was worth it…she sacrificed her life pretty much and in the end won the battle. She taught these kids things they wanted to learn about things that were relevant…something that is on my heart is to change what is taught in schools…there are certain things that don’t help you in life and where is the learning…where is the stuff that we needed to know. I had to learn it all on my own to survive…we aren’t preparing these kids for the future we are teaching them what we think they need to know. In this movie there is so many parts that got to me but one of them was the part when she the teacher herself bought brand new books for her students and one of them says to their friend…these are brand new. They were used to old torn books not at a high reading level but she showed them that they were worth it. This women’s husband didn’t believe in her even though she believed in him…so he left her. She lost something to give everything…she is someone I want to be like. People all around her told her she cant teach these kids…that she would never be able to get through to them…and what did she do…she didn’t just teach them…she brought unity and made them a family…and showed them that they need to do what is right. Another part in the movie is where she handed out self evaluation forms and one boy gave himself an F…she said…you don’t deserve an F and you know how I know this…I see you…I see you…she meant she sees the real him and that he didn’t deserve that F cause he was an amazing person that is goin to do great things…how many times have you given yourself an F? In this class in the movie there was one white kid and he felt out of place and he felt like he shouldn’t be in there…he was in there cause people in his life called him stupid and one day he said I am not stupid…that was me…in grade 11 they said I had dyslexia I never really understood all the tests they gave me to find this out or what it really was…I just thought it meant I was stupid…so I acted the part…I got horrible grades and never tried…and then they said I would never graduate high school…well I did and not only that I graduated college…and so I found out I wasn’t stupid and some of my friends make me feel like it now but I am not goin to stop there and say yeah maybe I am no I am goin to fight and show them that I can do it and that I am not goin to give up. I knew today was goin to be an intense day when…at church the pastor talked about how people in your life have ruined love for you…and you decided in your heart to never love again…and how that is stopping us from receiving God’s love and how we need to let them go and tear down those walls…which leads to me to the movie I am Sam…another great movie…that taught me a lot about persevering and breaking down walls. Now all this that I said…what am I goin to do about it…well this is what I am goin to do wake up in the morning and go to work…I am goin to show my co workers that I am good at my job and I am goin to show those kids that they are worth my time…no more doing things half ass its time for me to fight and pursue my dreams. Its time for me to stop listening to what the world has to say about me and what God has to say about me...God doesn’t call the qualified He qualifies the called. There was a line in the movie I loved…I cant remember it exactly but it went before we have to fight for these kids in the court rooms…lets fight for them in the classrooms. Somethin else I am goin to start doin…is writin my sermons when they come to me I am writin them down…and maybe someday I will get to preach and teach kids that they can dream and they can dream big…and I want to be their number one cheerleader when the world has walked out on them.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

all this white girl's gotsta say is "amen, and i love ya!"
o ya..and lets get this party started.

who God says I am said...

Wow. You do get amazing revelation from movies! That's incredible and now I really want to see that movie!

Anonymous said...

I totally want to see this movie now! thanks :)

~Julie

Jelea said...

i think after talking to you now, you've inspired me to see the movie.

Anonymous said...

I just saw that movie last night - Nikki, Katie took everyone at Satellite to the movies, including the staff, all paid, it was amazing! That movie was incredibly impacting!